Thursday, April 18, 2013

Omaha Beach


Kia Ora!

Yesterday I chaperoned another field trip! I went with the year 13 (12th grade) geography class to Omaha beach yesterday! The weather here has been gloomy and rainy (heading into winter) but yesterday was the only sunny and beautiful day this week! It was such a perfect day!   They were measuring slope, vegetation, looking at dunes, waves, and cliff formation as well. It was so fun meeting new students and spending some time at the beach!

The beach is located 74.7 km north of Auckland. It is on a sandspit that adjoins Tawharanui Peninsula and separates Whangateau Harbour from Omaha Bay. It is a great little beach town and there are tons of beautiful batches (beach homes) around.



The surf was amazing! I saw some of the biggest waves I have ever seen!

Here are some pictures of my trip J

Oh and ps. I am heading out on my two week holiday tomorrow evening (Saturday) and will be back in Auckland May 5th. I will have some Internet so hopefully I will keep you posted!!!



on our way we stopped for ducks to cross the road!!! 

huge surf! 



how amazing would this be if this was your classroom?



the spit! This was formed during the last glacial period - 5000 to 6000 years ago! 


hello from Omaha! 

pretty flowers! 






No comments:

Post a Comment